Here’s How you can Pump up the Iron
Did you know that iron deficiency is one of the most common nutritional disorders in the world? According to a study done by the World Health Organisation, over 30% of the world’s population is anaemic! And an iron deficiency is the root cause of many of these cases. If you have an iron deficiency, here are some natural ways in which you can tackle it:
- Eat foods rich in iron like pumpkin seeds, prunes, figs, dates, raisins, peas, molasses, artichokes and pumpkin.
- Eat foods rich in vitamin C in combination with these iron-rich foods. Studies have shown that vitamin C improves absorption of iron. Foods high in this vitamin are: citrus fruits, mangoes, kiwi, strawberries, pineapples, melons and sweet peppers.
- Avoid foods that hamper iron absorption like dairy products, fish, broccoli, nuts, spinach, raspberries, apples, eggs, coffee, lentils, peas and soy products.
- Take a natural supplement like Anaemi-Logic. This is a herbal blend that contains nettle, alfalfa, dandelion, burdock and yellow dock, and is packed with vitamins, minerals and iron.
And if you still feel you need more iron, here’s an excellent idea: eat pudding! This pudding recipe is packed with iron-rich cacao, potassium and protein.
Chocolate Chia Pudding (4 servings)
- ¼ cup chia seeds soaked in 1 cup of water for two hours
- 2 cups of milk of your choice (coconut, rice, almond etc.)
- 2 pitted dates
- ⅛ cup of flaxseed meal
- 4 – 6 tsp cacao powder (depending on taste)
- 2 tsp raw honey
- 1 tsp cinnamon
Whisk soaked chia seeds and milk together and refrigerate for two hours.
Process other ingredients together.
Take the chia seed mix out of the fridge and whisk.
Combine everything and add some sliced almonds or pumpkin seeds (even more iron!) for garnish. You can also add fresh fruit – strawberries are great with cacao, and improves iron absorption!